Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 03:59:56 -0700 (MST)

and Edmundas Kondratas wrote:
> Some years ago I have grown Reticulatas and Junos, but by circumstances =
> now no. Our summers sometimes is to humid and I will return to grow them =
> when I will be able to arrange structures with glass roof.=20
> For succesfull growing, yes it is best sandy soil, but one secret is =
> that reticulatas need of great quantities of lime. Best to add to soil =
> dolomite meal. Many. 5-10kg per sq. m. Most of them like dry, well =
> drained position, but for I. winogradowii the soil all the time must be =
> moist, not dried in summer.

I have 2 or 3 of a blue or purple variety of reticulata(?) from a mixed
collection several years ago that come up reliably every year.  They are
in an area of high shade at the edge of a 'patio' made of flat pieces of
limestone scavenged from the woods and creek bed.  They are about 2 ft
from the base of the northeast and north sides of a low (about 2 ft
high) 'L' shaped limestone 'retaining wall'.  They are planted in a
small bed with various other stuff - tulips and columbines and being
overtaken by Ajuga and moneywort.  I seived all the rocks out of this
bed prior to planting anything and I don't think I have ever fertilized
it.  Once the rocks are removed, this soil is more or less woodland
loam, fairly rich in organic matter.  When the soil is totally saturated
after long periods of heavy rain, this bed can be underwater, but the
surrounding and underlying gravel/sand natural soil drains very quickly,
and even the columbines don't seem to mind.

Some of our limestone in this area is dolomite (with magnesium) and some
isn't.  Edmondas, do you know if they benefit from the magnesium or
would non-dolomitic lime work as well?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA