Re: CULT: boron in commercial iris regions

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: boron in commercial iris regions
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:57:23 -0700 (MST)

Linda Mann wrote:

> A technical publication about naturally occurring amounts of metals and
> trace elements in different regions of the US does exist.  I will see if
> I can find out what is considered 'deficient' for boron - since Brady
> doesn't mention Oregon as being deficient, we would then know levels are
> naturally above that amount.

In March of 1997 I had a soil analysis done with the results sent to a
Agricultural Laboratory.  It came back with specific comments on how to
maintain my soil for optimun results.  Here is a footnote to those
comments:

Boron: Confirm low levels through tissue analysis.  BEWARE of the danger
of over-application of boron.  follow label directions carefully.

Another note was: ORGANIC MATTER levels maintained above 2.0 percent
will provide an improved soil structure and a more sustained release of
nutrients.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California