Re: CULT: Boron & other micronutrients

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Boron & other micronutrients
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:08:22 -0700 (MST)

Robert E. Stassen wrote:

> 3)  If a plant has a micronutrient deficiency, it is reflected in poor
> growth, color or vigor, consistent with a theory that the "unavailability"
> of the micronutrient is the "limiting factor."  ( My experience with leaf
> spot is that healthy, vigorous growing plants are equally
> susceptable--perhaps even more so.)

How true this is.  I believe there is nothing better for your soil than
a good dose of compost or other organic material.  You cannot plant
iris(or many other plants) back into the same area and expect them to
perform to their fullest without re-energizing the soil.

I also agree with your comment about leaf spot. The leaf spot fungus
(Didymellina Macrospora) is a fungus which produces spores that can
overwinter in your garden in the soil or on debris and also on the plant
itself.  When it is most active, in warm, moist and humid weather, it
will flourish and be transmitted by the wind.   From my experience I
have found that solarizing kills the spores in the ground.  So for those
of you who have done this last summer you should see this added
benefit.  However, be careful in that there could be spores on the
plants.  Growers here in the past used to literaly cook their rhizomes
in a warm benlate bath before planting in fumigated soil to kill the
spores on the plant.  People in the West or maybe in Texas can tell you
that leafspot is almost non-existant during droughts.  The fungus cannot
function during hot, dry, weather.  So next time you complain about
droughts, think about all that leafspot your not getting.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8