More mild winter

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: More mild winter
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:54:19 -0700 (MST)

List-eners -- Perhaps these observations might be of some interest:

I may end up calling this the "winter without gloves", since I haven't
worn dress gloves at all this winter, only going gloved for deer and
duck hunting.

I am on the border between zones 6 and 7. Clarence consigns me to zone 7
because my stuff blooms a week before his in Falls Church, VA and two
weeks before Dick Sparling's in Olney, MD.  Only the older irises, such
as HELEN COLLINGWOOD, WABASH, STEPPING OUT, etc., have died completely
back, and the new growth on them is now from 3" to 8".  NONE of the
irises planted or transplanted between March and August, 1997 have died
back.  This includes all classifications.  They have simply stayed green
and growing.  (Before you ask, some of them are planted in very
different soils.)  The aphids showed up two weeks ago and are spreading
rapidly.  I'm sure I will soon have to hit everything with Daconil to
retard leaf spot. El Nino, Go Home!

jgcrump@erols.com