Questions on Siberians and Japanese Irises.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Questions on Siberians and Japanese Irises.
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:28:28 -0700 (MST)

     Griff's message about his Irises staying green all winter reminded me
to ask this.  On all the Siberian and Japanese Irises (about four of each)
I brought to Florida with me, all of the foliage is brown.  (The lowest
temperature was 25 F on Jan. 1).  So far, I cannot detect any new growth at
the base of the plants, but when I tug the dead leaves, the plants feel
firmly in place.  We are still frequently having night temperatures dipping
into the mid to high 30's F (1 C to 4 C), so I guess this could slow them
     My questions are:
1.   Are the plants dead?
2.  Should I cut back the dead leaves and then feed them with Miracid?
3.  Should I cut back the dead leaves (has to be done anyway) and wait and
see what happens?
     I know that there is significant chance that these Irises will not
last here anyway.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, FL.     USDA Zone 8/9    Sunset Zone 28.