CAT: old catalogs

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CAT: old catalogs
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:42:16 -0700 (MST)

About a month ago, I contacted Schreiners' Gardens to see if they had
any old catalogs that I could buy.  I wanted them so I could cheat
(creative resource acquisition!) on my color charting homework by
matching written desriptions or even pictures to those obscure codes in
the 40s and 50s checklists.

They told me no, none left, long gone, forget it.

Yesterday, I got an email from Dave Schreiner (who doesn't know me from
any other goofball iris fanatic) saying that he had ransacked his attic
and was sending some catalogs!  They arrived today, a 1947, 1957, and
1960 catalog!!  The last of the extras, according to the accompanying
letter.  What a nice man!  I am overwhelmed - what a treasure!  Except
for the cover falling off one of them, they are in perfect condition.

It is so nice to get to see what some of these famous old irises look

As I was flipping quickly thru them, I saw a picture of a 'red' (brown)
iris that looked a ringer for one that a friend gave me years ago.  The
text says FIRE BRIGADE 'Reported the best of the reds in the South'.
Who knows.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
hog happy - THREE color catalogs from the time machine