Re: Questions on Siberians and Japanese Irises.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Questions on Siberians and Japanese Irises.
  • From: rimat <terra@catskill.net>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:54:45 -0700 (MST)

william b. cook wrote:
>      Griff's message about his Irises staying green all winter reminded me
> to ask this.  On all the Siberian and Japanese Irises (about four of each)
> I brought to Florida with me, all of the foliage is brown.  (The lowest
> temperature was 25 F on Jan. 1).  So far, I cannot detect any new growth at
> the base of the plants, but when I tug the dead leaves, the plants feel
> firmly in place.  We are still frequently having night temperatures dipping
> into the mid to high 30's F (1 C to 4 C), so I guess this could slow them
> down.
>      My questions are:
> 1.   Are the plants dead?
> 2.  Should I cut back the dead leaves and then feed them with Miracid?
> 3.  Should I cut back the dead leaves (has to be done anyway) and wait and
> see what happens?
>      I know that there is significant chance that these Irises will not
> last here anyway.
> Mark A. Cook
> billc@atlantic.net
> Dunnellon, FL.     USDA Zone 8/9    Sunset Zone 28.
Hi mark--

Of course my zone is very much oclder than yours but mine go brown and I
don't see new growth until the spring.  I cut them down in the fall,
although I never got to some of them because winter happened very
quickly and took us all by surprise.  so some are very tall and very
brown.  But the seed pods look great against thesnow.
Rima   terra@catskill.net
upstate ny   zone 4