Re: Questions on Siberians and Japanese Irises.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Questions on Siberians and Japanese Irises.
  • From: "John I. Jones" <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 22:37:42 -0700 (MST)

william b. cook wrote:
>      Griff's message about his Irises staying green all winter reminded me
> to ask this.  On all the Siberian and Japanese Irises (about four of each)
> I brought to Florida with me, all of the foliage is brown.  (The lowest
> temperature was 25 F on Jan. 1).  So far, I cannot detect any new growth at
> the base of the plants, but when I tug the dead leaves, the plants feel
> firmly in place.  We are still frequently having night temperatures dipping
> into the mid to high 30's F (1 C to 4 C), so I guess this could slow them
> down.
>      My questions are:
> 1.   Are the plants dead?
> 2.  Should I cut back the dead leaves and then feed them with Miracid?
> 3.  Should I cut back the dead leaves (has to be done anyway) and wait and
> see what happens?
>      I know that there is significant chance that these Irises will not
> last here anyway.

I think I am 8/9 here also but sunset zone 15-17 so I don't know how close we
are. I have had only 4 nights at 30-32 (in Dec). My JIs just recently started
showing some new growth. The old dead leaves are still reasonably firmly
attached and I don't want to pull too hard at this point, they only were
potted up in Nov.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.
There are currently 25 Iris pictures on my Website. Visit me at: