Siberian source

For anyone interested in iris seed from Siberia, the alpine-l has just
published the web site of WILDFLOWERS OF SIBERIA AND THE RUSSIAN FAR
EAST the company run by Dr. Alexandra Berkutenko.  Two ways into these
sites are listed below.

http://www.peak.org/~parsont/rockgard/burket.htm

http://euclid.pdmi.ras.ru/~mbabich/ibpn/berkut.html

One includes a listing of all the Siberian seeds available including
three irises.  These are:-

Iris laevigata Lvs are longer than stems. Fls 15 cm, blue. Wet places.

Iris setosa Wild Flag Would you like to arrange blue  Iris  meadow  in
your garden from hardy plant from Siberia? Smaller than above but much
less capricious.

Iris sibirica In contrast to Iris setosa this blue-flowered Siberian
occurs in Europe.

Her address is:-

Dr. A.N.Berkutenko
     P.O.Box 225  Portovaja  street,  31/12-40  Magadan 685000
     Russia

e-mail:   IBPN@IBPN.Magadan.SU    (please specify   my   name   in
the  "subject"  field)
telephone:   (0117)41322 3-56-53
fax:         (0117)41322 2-01-66

Dr Berkutenko visited Ottawa last year and gave a lecture to our local
Rock Garden Society on the plants of region around Magadan.  It is an
extremely remote region with a forbiddingly short growing season.  She
had seeds with her and I have some planted outside in the garden at this
time but I can not remember which of the three species I obtained.  So
much for good record keeping!

Ian. in Ottawa