Re: QUESTION TO BEGINNERS

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: QUESTION TO BEGINNERS
  • From: Melissa Harris <melarris@sirius.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 12:29:02 -0700 (MST)

>I am to give a program next weekend to a bunch of not-necessarily iris folk -
>so my question to the newer folk on the iris-L is this:
>
>What do you find valuable in a program???
>
>Do you like lots of slides?

Good slides are a must. Also practice your presentation in real time so
that it "flows" well. Lots of slides are nice, if they pass quickly and
hold the viewer's interest. Check the room. Does it heat up to the point
where the audience can fall asleep easily in a warm dark place? If so,
maybe a shorter slide show would be better.

>Do you want to know about planting and dividing irises?
It is nice to know about what the optimum times for planting and dividing
are for the region that you are speaking in. Also, explaining the growth
patterns and the unique way that iris rhizomes increase would be
interesting.

>Are you interested in sourcing?
A handout of sources would be good. Any growers who invite the public
should be mentioned as well as when the best blooms occur. I would like to
see some of the older source catalogs at presentations. I'm new and it's
hard to obtain photos of some of the cultivars that are not "cutting edge".

>Do we HAVE to talk about pests and diseases?
Maybe include them in the handout. If your audience are truly beginners,
they may not actually have any plants yet to protect from bugs and disease.

>So you actually read handouts... or do you 'circular file' them.
 I read them if they contain a variety of information, not just how to
grow, but sources, further reading, local clubs, dates of upcoming events
and websites.
Or, you could break them down into topics and people could pick and choose
which sheets pertain to their particular interest.

>Tell me what you like best when you go to a program.
A good mix of information methods- visuals, props, discussion and handouts.

Hope that this helps.

Melissa Harris

In Vallejo, where it is still raining or pouring or about to rain.