Re: QUESTION TO BEGINNERS

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: QUESTION TO BEGINNERS
  • From: Daryl &Kathy Haggstrom <hagg@alaska.net>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 23:53:03 -0700 (MST)

Irisborer@aol.com wrote:

> I am to give a program next weekend to a bunch of not-necessarily iris folk -
> so my question to the newer folk on the iris-L is this:

> What do you find valuable in a program???
If it is a program about a flower I'm not yet committed to or serious
about, I am interested in what makes it special, unique or magic enough
to desire in my own garden. That would be the starting point for me.

> Do you like lots of slides?
Yes! Not only of varieties that do good in my area, but slides of
successful landscapes that would cause me to desire the same effect,
thus the same plants shown. Being able to see how exciting they are is
always better than telling someone how exciting they are.

> Do you want to know about planting and dividing irises?
Yes, but only the most basic, the information that is needed to start
growing them and then only in a manner that would encourage the desire
to try them. This is a good subject to put on the handouts you asked
about, so that the person may keep that information for future reference
when it is needed.

> Are you interested in sourcing?
Yes, that is useful in the same way the above information is.

> Do we HAVE to talk about pests and diseases?
Briefly & lightly, & only if the affliction merits it. The most valuable
information here would be a brief description of what to look for, and
most importantly, how to take care of it (what chemical to use, where to
get it, etc).

> So you actually read handouts... or do you 'circular file' them.
I definitely read & keep them. Any that are given to me. I keep them &
use them.

> Tell me what you like best when you go to a program.
I like a light & humorous, but still-meaty approach. I favor the casual,
informal talk. I like hearing personal experiences, anecdotal stories,
personal horticultural disasters! etc. That draws me into the talk,
because I can relate to it. I like listening to someone who truly loves
the subject they're discussing.

One other point that was brought up by someone earlier is the presence
of the bored spouse who was drug along to the talk. That is interesting
- how do we get he/she involved? With my husband it would be a joke, or
a humorous true story.
> Kathyguest... who doesn't want to go down in flames
I don't think you will :-)