SPEC- I.ensata i adn sibirica in Florida

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: SPEC- I.ensata i adn sibirica in Florida
  • From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 08:47:10 -0700 (MST)

Mark

>From reading your last e-mail about ensata and sibirica, I get the
impression that you are worried about them surviving the cold in
Florida, or is it the heat in summer?  Firstly, they should have no
problem with the cold as they survive here, and in Siberia, well.
Secondly, I do not see why they would have any problem with the heat in
summer, especially for ensata, as Tokyo is oppressively hot and humid
during their summers.  It is not tropical but oranges grow to just north
of that region, if my memory serves me correctly. In fact, it seems that
you are also about the same relationship with orange growth as Tokyo. It
seems to me that the one problem you will have is insufficient cold in
winter.  I do not know how far south ensata grows in Japan, or the US
for that matter, but that information would tell you the answer.

The fact that the plants are dormant at the moment does not surprise me
as you moved them last summer.  they die right back normally, at least
here, and they would be expected to died back after a move of both
climate and location.  Just wait and pray!

Ian, in Ottawa where it dropped to about -20C last night.