Re: SPEC- I.ensata and sibirica in Florida

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC- I.ensata and sibirica in Florida
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 09:00:34 -0700 (MST)

Ian Efford writes:

> Mark
>
> I do not see why they would have any problem with the heat in
> summer, especially for ensata, as Tokyo is oppressively hot and humid
> during their summers.  It is not tropical but oranges grow to just north
> of that region, if my memory serves me correctly. In fact, it seems that
> you are also about the same relationship with orange growth as Tokyo. It
> seems to me that the one problem you will have is insufficient cold in
> winter.  I do not know how far south ensata grows in Japan, or the US
> for that matter, but that information would tell you the answer.

I believe the Higo strain of Japanese iris was developed in a district of
that name on Kyushu, the southernmost of the main Japanese islands at
approximately 33 degrees N latitude (about the same as Macon, Georgia).
Kyushu definitely has a subtropical climate, but like all the Japanese
islands, it is mountainous, which must influence the climate in ways
unknown to Florida.

cwalters@digitalpla.net