Re: HIST: Irises With Six Standards (!)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HIST: Irises With Six Standards (!)
  • From: "Jim Murrain" <jimmurrain@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:52:09 -0700 (MST)

Dear Barb;
	Wow ,you made me hit the books today, I am very enthusiastic about flat
iris. I usually refer to them as six falled. Applanate is from the latin
applanatus (adj): flattened or horizontally expanded.
	The only iris with six standards I have seen is BLUE TULIP(Knocke, R
'62) , it has no beards or anthers and  holds it's standards very
stiffly upright, I am afraid it is not lovely but only a courisity.
	RHYTHM, is fairly common here in region 18. I often see it at our
spring regional garden tours and have grown it for a number of years. I
must admit I usually "help" it  open completely by by blowing or bending
any errant falls into their flat position.
	BLACK BEAUTY is an iris I have never seen  and am excited to hear of it
so "close" to home.  Do you think a trade might be possible some day ? I
have a goodly number of "WIERD BEARDED  IRIS ", in their own special
	Keep up the good work searching out the unusual and rare lovies.

Jim Murrain ,Kansas City, Mo. Zone 5/6
Life member AIS , SIGNA  &
Greater Kansas City Iris Society