HYB:recessive amoenas

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HYB:recessive amoenas
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 17:16:03 -0700 (MST)

For those of you who are still awake after yesterday's posting -- Upon
review, I find that I wrote "Crossman bred for sturdy falls . . ."
Please make that "stalks", rather than "falls".

The proof that the unidentified yellow bitone (YBT) did, indeed, stem
from WABASH, came from crosses between it and solid dark velvets which
produced the WABASH pattern. I now knew that I had a seedling
incorporating both the WABASH characteristics and carotenoid genes. So,
I crossed YBT and WABASH. Three crosses (two WABASH x YBT and one YBT x
WABASH) produced fewer than 20 seedlings, only two of which were full
amoenas, and two of which were strongly-colored variegatas (yellow up,
red-mahogany velvet down) with well-defined edges on the falls.

The crosses between YBT and the dark velvets were resulting in dark
velvets with a lighter band on the edges of the falls, and ruffling.

Some time earlier, I had received a culled iris from Charlie Nearpass
that was mis-identified as SAND AND SEA. Last year, with Mike Lowe's
help, I identified this as TRUDY. It was a tailored tan amoena, and
clearly a recessive. This iris, when crossed with WABASH, produced some
rich colors in the falls.  The heritage of TRUDY, a recessive amoena,
includes many reds and yellows, as well as WABASH, AND COOK AND
MUHLESTEIN LINES. This suggests that there are also dominant amoena
genes present. A seedling from this cross, 93B11, has produced an iris
having three different blooms on the same stalk: one a Wabash-type
amoena with purple falls and a white edge, the second a variegata with
cream-colored stands and bronze/red-violet falls, and the third a
sectioned chimera, splitting the difference between the first two, i.e.,
one stand white, another cream, and the third split evenly between the
two; one fall purple with white edge, another bronze/red-violet with a
bronze edge, and the third split evenly between the other two.

This is probably a good point at which to break again, and I think the
third installment will be the last, since this is still a work in