Re: SPEC- I.ensata i adn sibirica in Florida

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC- I.ensata i adn sibirica in Florida
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 18:20:55 -0700 (MST)

 It seems to me that the one problem you will have is insufficient cold in
> winter.  I do not know how far south ensata grows in Japan, or the US
> for that matter, but that information would tell you the answer.

     It appears that there are always attempts to push southward the limits
of growing these Irises.  I know that both Japanese and Siberians are very
cold tolerant, and were hardy in Kentucky.  Also, the heat extremes in
Kentucky are worse than in Florida, but they last a much shorter time.
What I really wonder is if these types have a chilling requirement that may
not be fulfilled here.  Winters here are too mild for most Apples, for
instance to get the necessary chilling requirements, and are too cold for
Citrus except in very protected areas.
> The fact that the plants are dormant at the moment does not surprise me
> as you moved them last summer.  they die right back normally, at least
> here, and they would be expected to died back after a move of both
> climate and location.  Just wait and pray!

     In Kentucky, I would have had growth under the current weather
patterns.  It makes me wonder if there is some other factor that influences
growth of Japanese and Siberian Irises, such as seasonal chilling and/or
day length.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, FL.           Heavy Rain, Gale Warning.