Re: Spring planting

	Bill S.wrote:

>In my forthcoming book I strongly urge spring planting of most beardless
>irises for those who live in zones 3-5.  The only possible exceptiion would
>be the spurias, whose life cycle more closely resembles in many ways the
>bearded irises.

	Yes on all counts. I received a substantial order of Siberians and
	Japanese in mid-August and was dismayed:

	1. the bad shape the Siberians were in to begin with and soaking
		didn't help much. :-(
	2. the first frost arrived less than three weeks later.. bad news
	3. the Japanese seemed to thrive and settle in quickly much better
 		than the Siberians which comprised the bulk of the order.
	4. the Siberians I received from Dana Borglum in May actually
		*bloomed* later in the summer as well as the hemerocallis
		that he sent me...good healthy two-year plants.

	Ellen (bitterly cold and windy today, brrrr)

Ellen Gallagher  / e_galla@moose.ncia.net
Siberian iris robin   /   sibrob@ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA / USDA Zone 3