OT: Bogus posts/paid endorsements

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT: Bogus posts/paid endorsements
  • From: bstassen@comp.uark.edu (Robert E. Stassen)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 13:46:31 -0700 (MST)

This is a topic which I'd prefer you to reply to me at my address, it's not
a topic worthy for space on iris-l, but it's one where I'd like your input.
Please respond privately.

This weekend I discovered some posts on a net site (The Plants by Mail FAQ--
information on mail order companies) while doing a search on one of the
companies.  Anyhow, I found an obvious paid endorsement by someone posting
under the name "Kitty Morrissy" who, I guess, had an AOL account for a few
days in 1996.   (Search on her name through alta vista, and you'll get the
four posts, which might give you an interesting view on the companies she's
commenting on).

I have some theories on how these folks operate, how they are compensated,
how they can appear, and disappear, etc., but I am a novice to many of the
commercial workings of the internet, and I'd appreciate any insights you may
have or experiences you have had--particularly if you have a commercial mail
order operation using the internet.

By the way, if you're unsure if I really exist, give me a call. : )
 501-575-6155