Re: SIB and spring planting

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SIB and spring planting
  • From: Jim Wilson <wilsonjh@one.net>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 15:19:56 -0700 (MST)

>Chris [trying to close this out]:
>Maybe in that case I will just have to go there myself and dig the ones I
want under
>her supervision! (smiling) :-)
>Actually, last time I got plants from her, that is exactly what I did! She
is a very
>nice person. She helped too. Don't forget to vote for her Siberian
(SHAKER'S PRAYER)
>for the Dykes Medal this year!...
**
Having worked a little bit with Carol, and also in a garden in Delaware not
too far from there, I can well understand why she's reluctant to dig there in
the spring most years, and for us there, early September usually worked
just fine.  Out here in Ohio, I've had good, although not unfailing, luck
with both spring and fall so far.  I'm working on getting Carol's catalog
together now, and it'll be thinner this year due to her weather last year.
She does have a few new things, though.

If I had to pick a beardless for the Dykes out of the current contenders,
I'd pick Aqua Whispers.  Shaker's Prayer is a super iris, vigorous in many
areas of its reasonable range, but its foliage doesn't well represent what
a landscape iris should be throughout the year, and I'd like to see the
barrier broken by one that would be a good representative all around.

		--Jim

__
Jim Wilson, Oxford, OH, USDA Zone 6a, AIS garden judge, Region 6
growing medians, TBs, Siberians, JIs, and a few SPU and species
wilsonjh@one.net    http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~wilsonjh