Re: SIB and spring planting

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SIB and spring planting
  • From: daf10@cornell.edu (Dorothy A. Fingerhood)
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 14:28:28 -0700 (MST)

Jim wrote:

>Having worked a little bit with Carol, and also in a garden in Delaware not
>too far from there, I can well understand why she's reluctant to dig there in
>the spring most years, and for us there, early September usually worked
>just fine.  Out here in Ohio, I've had good, although not unfailing, luck
>with both spring and fall so far.  I'm working on getting Carol's catalog
>together now, and it'll be thinner this year due to her weather last year.
>She does have a few new things, though.

I would like to add to my previous comment.  Carol supplies superior
rhizomes of  good size , and I have had excellent results with the beardless
irises purchased from her, fall planting or not.  Her pricing is also most
favorable.  For fall, I try to get them in as early as possible and keep
them well watered.  I still think spring planting is generally better
here--but it all depends!  If we have one of our "what happened to
spring--suddenly it's 90 degrees and dry" years, spring planting is NOT
better than fall.

Dorothy Fingerhood
Newfield, NY  (more rain--THIS is winter?)