Re: SIB and spring planting

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SIB and spring planting
  • From: ECPep@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 15:18:35 -0700 (MST)

<< favorable.  For fall, I try to get them in as early as possible and keep
 them well watered.  I still think spring planting is generally better
 here--but it all depends!  If we have one of our "what happened to
 spring--suddenly it's 90 degrees and dry" years, spring planting is NOT
 better than fall.

 Dorothy Fingerhood >>

I would add a note on Carol's nursery from a postcard sent to one of our
members who asked for spring shipment.  She says her stock is split and
replanted in the spring.  She ships from the new divisions much later in the
summer when they are established in her fields.

Carol ships only these newly brought on divisions.  Bareroot from the north in
spring gives you a plant that does not have to put out a second flush of
growth, it's first is yet to happen.  I have had uniformly bad performance
with summer/fall planting.  Sibs take years to recover and some do not
recover.

Dorothy has a point with the summer droughts up here (last three years).  I
think do to our shorter growing season the first year of a siberian requires a
little extra attention.

Two of us growing siberians on my mountain were having poor results until we
paid attention to all these details.  You may need several years to have a
good sized blooming clump in the more northern zones.

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, NY
zone 4 - Berkshire area