Re: SIB and spring planting

	Claire Peplowski wrote:

>think do to our shorter growing season the first year of a siberian requires a
>little extra attention.

	I would add 'quite of bit of attention' that includes lots of faithful
	watering and a mulch that keeps them moist and I do winter-mulch my

	first-year Siberians. I have watered three times a day in a warm

	spell (not many of those here). Also, plant deep and give them plenty
	of room. The soil is amended and ready when they arrive but I always
	soak them a day anyway.

>Two of us growing siberians on my mountain were having poor results until we
>paid attention to all these details.  You may need several years to have a
>good sized blooming clump in the more northern zones.

	This is so true but it is worth the wait. I 'designed' a rather large
	perennial border around one my favorite whites, Esther C.D.M. The only
	problem was Esther just had a blooming season last summer and took 3
	years to do it. My border looked strange with a non-blooming Siberian
	smack in the middle of it. BTW, Esther came from Ensata and is a
	gorgeous, healthy plant. Definitely worth the wait. :-)

Ellen Gallagher  / e_galla@moose.ncia.net
Siberian iris robin   /   sibrob@ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA / USDA Zone 3