Re: recessive amoenas

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: recessive amoenas
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 17:38:53 -0700 (MST)

BBarb Johnson wrote:

> J. Griffin Crump wrote:
> >
> > This is part 3 of my reply to Linda, Bruce, et al.             <snip>
> > Meantime, in 1993 I made several crosses between WABASH-line and
> > WABASH/TRUDY-line amoenas and variegatas and some Blyth/Blyth-derivative
> > irises. These have produced several snow white amoenas with dark velvet
> > falls and crisp white edging on the falls. I haven't yet figured out
> > what in Blyth's varieties has interacted so well with my recessive
> > amoenas, but whatever it is, I want more of it.
> >
> > Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA
> > jgcrump@erols.com.
>
> Griff, specifically WHICH Blyth irises?? This is wonderful!
>
> Barb J., who has several of Adam Mueller's Blyth seedlings.
> Near Springfield, MO            lgjohnson@getonthe.net

Barb -- I've been using CHINESE TREASURE, CHAMPAGNE ELEGANCE (1/2
Blyth), AMBER SNOW, and an unknown that has that "Blyth look", which I
think may be BEACH GIRL. The outstanding interactor with my recessives
has been CHINESE TREASURE, producing several amoenas with full-velvet
falls, whereas it, itself, has falls which are not velvet. CHAMPAGNE
ELEGANCE has worked better with dominant amoenas, but I may not have
given it sufficient chance yet with the recessives. No red beards from
CHINESE TREASURE yet, but the yellow beards are golden and appropriate.

I remember that Clarence, last January or so, remarked that reducing or
making pleasing the haft marks in recessive amoenas was a worthwhile
goal.  Several of these seedlings have attained that. I think I have at
least one introducer among them.

jgcrump@erols.com