Re: European Sources

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: European Sources
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 18:41:28 -0700 (MST)

Ian E. & Shirley Efford wrote:

> Another interestig website has been mentioned on alpine-l which will
> interest some members of iris-l.  This is the plant finder site run out
> of Germany.  It can be found at:-
>
> http://www.flora.de/daten/ppp/ppp.html
>
> It is in German.  If you go down to Gattung and type in Iris then you
> will get a list of irises by species and varieties that are available.
> The direct page reference is:-
>
> http://www.flora.de/cgi/ppp/pflanzen.pl
>
>  The list is quite long and goes as far as ensata and then stops.
> Obviously, the list goes on but my German is very rusty and I can not
> find the "next page" button.  None of those at the bottom of the page
> gives one the species after ensata.  Anyone fluent in German who can
> help us through the maze?
>
> It looks as if this will lead to finding the source of a lot of species
> that are difficult to find in N.America.
>
> Ian, in Ottawa where we still have a foot or more of ice covered snow
> and the temperature is still trying to get up above freezing.

Ian -- A little more information here: In order to refine your search,
they want you to go back to the basic search page. "Gattung" means
"genus"; "Art" means "species", and "Sorte" means "cultivar", as you
undoubtedly know. Under "Art", try aphylla, trojana and germanica.
You'll find some cultivars listed under aphylla and germanica -- none
under trojana. Apparently, it all depends on what they've put in their
database. You'll have to stick with the scientific nomenclature. "Tall
bearded" won't work.

Griff Crump