Re: Spring Shipment of Siberians, etc.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Spring Shipment of Siberians, etc.
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <Koekkoek@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 12:17:44 -0700 (MST)

Kathie Guest suggested planting fall-received Siberians in pots,
winter them over and plant in the garden in spring.  Well, I don't
know about others, but I don't have the inside space to do that with
more than 3 or 4 pots, if that.  It's just not feasible for me to get
a dozen or new plants and keep them in the house all winter.  I have
an idea most people would fall into the same situation.    I have
done that with three or four iris in the past, with indifferent
success.  Most survived but they didn't thrive, seemed to need a
whole season to adjust to being outside, and none showed any sign of
blooming the first year they were outside.  Spring-planted did much
better.  Perhaps if one had a greenhouse (I just covet one, don't
have such!) there'd be sufficient space as well as light to make that
procedure a success.

Arnold Koekkoek

Arnold Koekkoek                         Home Ph. (712) 722-0724
Assoc. Prof. of History                 Off. Ph. (712) 722-6326
Dordt College                           e-mail koekkoek@dordt.edu
Sioux Center, IA 51250