Re: Pot Culture (no, it's not what you think!)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Pot Culture (no, it's not what you think!)
  • From: MrBlade27@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 15:33:59 -0700 (MST)

     I also had one instance where potting up my iris was an absolute
necessity.  We had an extremely clay soil in Northern California, and an
excessive amount of spring rain created resulted in a significant amount of
crown rot.  One of my favorite TB's was devastated, almost totally destroyed
except for one tiny rhizome.  I dug it up, thick mud and all, cut off the
damaged areas, and planted the rhizome in a pot with moist, sandy soil and
peat.  Although it did not grow quickly, it did survive, and I was able to
replant it outside after several months once I felt it had developed a better
root system.

Brian Thompson
Now experiencing another cool, damp, dreary day in Southeast Nebraska, Zone 5