Re: Pot Culture (no, it's not what you think!)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Pot Culture (no, it's not what you think!)
  • From: "John Bruce" <jbruce@infinet.com>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 15:35:25 -0700 (MST)

I, too, have potted siberians.  My pots go into a protective cold frame for
the winter. Kathy Guest makes the best point on why: control of environment.
Here they are protected from wind, overwatering, and animals.  First year
plants planted  right beside the frames, exposed to the same temps, get off
to a much slower start their first spring. I plant bearded rhizomes in pots
as well (undersized, immature ones) and place them in the frames.  Both
bearded and beardless sometimes retain part of their green.  Transplant
shock is low out of the pots as well.  I purchased some sibs one fall in
pairs, and planted one set in pots, one in the ground.  As second year
plants, those started in pots were twice the size of those "outside".

John Bruce
jbruce@infinet.com
1VP Miami Valley Iris Society
AIS Region 6 / SW OH Zone5