Re: Spring planting bearded-why not?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Spring planting bearded-why not?
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 18:01:17 -0700 (MST)

<<  Why not plant TB in the Spring?
 A friend gave me a dried rhizome from last year.
 Should I wait till "X" summer month to plant it? >>

Virginia, I think you really should not wait any longer to plant your iris. I
would plant it in a generous pot with really nice potting medium that holds
some moisture but drains superbly and then tuck it in a place outside where it
it will be protected but still get some sun and warmth. A coldframe would be
ideal. If you don't have one of those you will want to turn a bucket or
something over the pot if a night freeze comes. If a stretch of cold weather
hits, bring it inside and put in a light, cool place for the duration. I don't
think I'd put the plant directly into the ground now because the ground is
still pretty chilly and the moisture level is hard to control there,
especially this soggy year. Irises that have been out of the ground for that
long are both eager for and sensitive to water and some will rot readily. Your
rhizome may or may not make it, but if it does start it should be fine and it
can stay in its pot until you get ready to work your iris beds in late summer,
at which point you can plant it out in the garden.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, Va
Henry Hall henryanner@aol.com