Pot Culture (no, it's not what you think!)

Bill Shear wrote:

>   But I recall reading about some
>   people on the list potting up TB rhizomes as soon as they arrive, and=

>   planting them in the ground.  What gives?  What are the circumstances=

>  which YOU would pot up an iris?

When rhizomes arrive in July or Aug -- here
daily high  temperatures can still go above
110 and relative humidity is usually below 10.
Planted then, most TBs simply cook.  Before
I started doing this I considered a 20% =

survival rate of TBs an excellent year.  But
potted, with the pots set in full shade where
the ground can be sprinkled around them at
least once a day for cooling, they go ahead
and start root growth so that they are ready to
move to their permanent beds in mid-to-late

Sharon McAllister