Re: CalSibe fertile tetraploids

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CalSibe fertile tetraploids
  • From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 09:58:52 -0700 (MST)

Thanks, Jeff and Carolyn.  I recall that passage in McEwen's book but could
make no sense of the version posted.  Tetraploid Calsibe seed was offered
last year by SIGNA and I have one very vigorous seedling coming along from
the four seeds I planted. Calsibes have been short-lived here in central
Virginia, as are both of their parent types (though Iris delavayi has been
with me for 10 years now).  I'm hoping the tetraploids might be more

I wonder if anyone has tried tetraploid calsibes with tetraploid 28 (56)
chromosome siberians?  A breakthrough there could lead to some really
exciting plants.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College