Re: OT convention planning

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT convention planning
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 17:03:33 -0700 (MST)

Walter A. Moores wrote:

> > On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Marte Halleck wrote:
> >

> > > Getting from DIA to the Tech Center will be pricey unless the hotel
> > > you're staying at provides airport shuttle service -- cab fare will be
> > > outrageous.
> >
> >         This is scary!
> >
> >         Somebody in Denver please tell us if the hotel will provide
> > shuttle service.  I had a bad experience with a cabbie in Detroit. . .

Walter and Marte -- I recently had occasion to use Super Shuttle for the
first time. I tried it on the advice of a colleague at work who uses it
frequently. Objective: Avoid hassles with the unfortunately large
percentage of cheating cabbies in the Washington area.

Super Shuttle charged $10 flat for a trip from my house to National
Airport (distance: 11 miles). I have been paying, for years, an average
of $14 for the same trip by cab, and sometimes have had to do battles
royal with cabbies who wanted to charge as much as $18 to $21. On the
morning of my trip, the Super Shuttle driver arrived 20 minutes early
and read the paper in her van while I, the only passenger, finished
preparations for departure at the appointed time. On my return trip, I
found Super Shuttle vans waiting at the airport and happily passed up
the other cabbies to take another $10 trip home. No hassle. Good
service. Happy to give a good tip. This isn't a commercial, but a
sharing of experience with my fellow irisarians who may be heading for
Denver -- or anywhere else, for that matter.