Re: Spring planting bearded-why not?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Spring planting bearded-why not?
  • From: "Merrily A. Smith" <merrilyann@erols.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 18:24:51 -0700 (MST)

There's an iris grower in southern Maryland who has hundreds of different
varieties; she sells primarily to people who are interested in specific
colors of iris for their gardens.  She told me that once they were all
labeled, but one day a family with children came along and one of the kids
pulled a lot of them out.   So some names she remembers, and others she's
not so sure of.  Anyhow, people go to the garden when all the iris are in
bloom and pick out what they want.  There and then she digs it up and hands
it over, sometimes using the flower stalk as a handle.  Then you take it
home and plant it.  End of story.  Anyhow, just because I was so interested,
she dug up four Wabash rhizomes when I was there last May, or maybe early
June and just gave them to me.  I took it home, cut the flower stalk off the
one rhiz that had it, put it in a vase in the dining room, trimmed the fans
down to about 5", then promptly replanted them all.  They probably weren't
out of the ground more than 6 hours.  None of them too off very fast (which
may be a characteristic of Wabash?), but none died, and from the looks of it
now, I think I'll have one or two blooms this spring.    Merrily Smith in DC