Re: CalSibe fertile tetraploids - long

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CalSibe fertile tetraploids - long
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 19:22:26 -0700 (MST)

> Timothy Hall-W13148 wrote:
> >
> > Thank you for the citation.  Do you know if Mr. Tamberg sell any of his
> > cultivars? or how he might be contacted?
> > Thanks Tim Hall
> >
>From the 1998 Cape Iris Gardens catalog:

"BERLIN-CAPE CONNECTION (Tamberg-Niswonger '97) CS 1-93: (Starting Calsibe
x converted yellowish calsibe sdlg., parentage unknown) X Unknown.SPEC-X,
36" (91 cm), TET, M.  This is a light blue with small veinations emanating
from a small yellow signal.  This cultivar first began when Tomas Tamberg
of Berlin Germany crossed a 40 chromosome siberian seedling from I.
delavaya x I. clarkei with I. fernaldii, a Pacific Coast Native species,
also with 40 chromosomes.  He then treated the seeds with colchicine and
doubled the chromosomes to 80.  The resulting seedlings were then crossed
with each other so that this cultivar represents about the fourth
generation, except that this cultivar is much different than its sibs.  It
supposedly is a sib to SILENT DREAMS but Tomas thinks that a different
pollen grain must have gotten involved.  This one has a different color
than the rest and it has upright stems which are better than the sibs.  It
was the Best Species Seedling at the MASS Medley and thus won the Tiffney
Cup.............It doesn't appear to be fertile;

There is a bit more indicated by the dots.  If I'm not supposed to quote
from a catalog in this manner, someone please say so.  It seemed to follow
the previous thread on the Cal-Sibes so well, I thought it fit and was
interesting as well.

Donald
donald@eastland.net
between Abilene & Fort Worth where I'm now wondering if they will grow here