Re: Spring planting bearded-why not?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Spring planting bearded-why not?
  • From: KHuess@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 21:54:57 -0700 (MST)

In a message dated 98-02-19 20:26:26 EST, Merrily Smith writes:

<<  Anyhow, people go to the garden when all the iris are in
 bloom and pick out what they want.  There and then she digs it up and hands
 it over, sometimes using the flower stalk as a handle.  Then you take it
 home and plant it.  End of story.  >>

I encountered a local grower here that will ONLY sell their iris while they
are blooming.  I learned of this after last summers bloom season was over.  A
friend mentioned buying iris from them and receiving large clumps for very low
prices.  When I called to inquire about varieties I wanted and understood they
had, I was informed in a rather haughty tone that their selling season was
over for the year - and it wasn't even July yet!

Karen Hughes
Southeast Nebr - where warm, wet weather got me in the mood to do some
weeding.  Imagine me with dirt under the nails and a smile on my face in
FEBRUARY!!!