Re: Pot Culture

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Ross wrote:
> Do you provide any shade or cover? If my
> hunch is correct, I may try Walter's pot idea this year.
> Ross

	Ross and other interested parties, I am not the originator of pot
culture for TB's.  It is discussed in an AIS Bulletin sometime during the
1980's.  However, I think I might have amended it in using 4" pots instead
of the gallon pots suggested originally.

	Also, in Texas when I lived there some people planted in July and
August but shielded the plants from the sun by using wooden roofing
shingles.  They put a teepee of shingles around the plants.  This helped
greatly for plant survival in intense heat, but it tackied up the garden.
One person had a lot of sawhorses. Wooden panels anchored with bricks were
laid on the sawhorses over the newly-set plants.  That WAS a sight!  This
was written about in an AIS Bulletin in the early 1990's.

	Pot culture seems to be the neatest way and 4" pots are the best
for getting new iris purchases off to a head start in July or August.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS (7/8 The old master potter from the far away hills)