Re: Cult I. Minutoaurea

Bill Shear writes:
> The BIS species book calls it "surprisingly difficult to grow, at least
> Britain", and states that it is unknown in the wild, only from
> but on the previous page gives the distribution as "probably China or
> Korea."
> Jim Waddick, however, in IRISES OF CHINA pictures a nice blooming clump
> says it grows easily in Missouri.  He recommends good drainage and a
> clay-base soil.  I do not recall if he found it in the wild in China or

In his book Waddick states that I. minutoaurea was originally described
from cultivated specimens in Japan, but has subsequently been identified
growing wild in Manchuria and North Korea growing among grass on hillsides
and at forest edges. He indicates that he has grown it in Missouri in full
sun, unmulched, with good success, only taking care that it does not get
overgrown by other plants as it is so tiny.