Spring planting of Dutch Iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Spring planting of Dutch Iris
  • From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 08:29:22 -0700 (MST)

A few local general outlets (WallMart, supermarkets) offer bags of bulbs of
Dutch Iris in the spring.  I've tried these and they don't work.  Foliage
is produced, but evidently without the chilling period of winter, they do
not give bloomstalks.  I also suspect that they cannot develop enough of a
root system fast enough to support themselves.  The bulbs die and rot.

However I suspect that if such bulbs were pre-chilled in some way, they
might bloom.  Anyone have any experience in this?  Though I've done a lot
of bulb-forcing, I've never been successful with Dutch Iris.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943