Re: OT convention planning

J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey wrote:

> >What I'd like to know is
> >whether there are other places nearby, near enough to be considered
> >walking distance, that suit a slimmer pocketbook.
>
> Arnold, I would also ask about neighborhoods. A running friend of ours was
> shot to death in Colorado Springs while walking from his hotel to a nearby
> drugstore. He and his wife were there with a convention group, the Arkansas
> Pikes Peak Marathon Society, but were staying in a different hotel. No one
> had warned him about the crime in that hotel's neighborhood. Colorado
> Springs is known as a safe, friendly place, and it is, mostly. But every
> city has its problems.
>
> Denver is a bigtime big city. I wouldn't hesitate to book a cheaper hotel,
> but do check out the neighborhood of whatever hotel you use. I think that
> is good advice no matter where one travels.
>
> celia

Sorry to hear about what happened to your friend, Celia, but let's not
get hysterical here. The general area of the Denver Tech Center is very
upscale & safe but it IS sub-urban & vehicularly oriented, not at all
foot-traffic friendly -- it consists almost entirely of large commerical
buildings & their attendant giant parking lots & access roads &
highways. Actually, for a city it's size, there are very few parts of
Denver I totally avoid myself, on foot or at night. But I do have the
advantage of knowing the place quite well after all these years.

Arnold & others looking for places to stay other than the Marriott might
want to try the Holiday Inn Express/Denver South (303-689-9696) or La
Quinta Inn & Suites (303-649-9969) both of which list their locations as
the Tech Center. Or check out the Hampton Inn Hotel (303-792-9999) on E.
Arapaho Rd, just south of the Tech Center off I25. Have no idea if any
of these cheaper but it's worth trying.

I'm sure there are others to choose from -- will try to get more info
for you. Places to consider may list their addresses as Englewood rather
than Denver. Look also for places that either note the Tech Center in
their location or say south or southeast Denver & avoid ones that say
they're in Denver West or close to DIA because of distances &
city-crossing drives. Another desirable factor will be easy access to
I25 &/or I225.

Marte in the mtns -- Evergreen, CO