The TC & other favs

Henryanner@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Were I going to Denver I would plan some time alone to visit the Tattered
> Cover Book Store, one of the largest and most venerable independent bookstores
> in the country, with several locations. And someone in Denver needs to tell
> the TC that the irisarians are coming.
>
> http://www.tatteredcover.com

Anner:

Sorry to hear you aren't coming to Denver! Darn. And trust me, the main
TC store (adj. to Cherry Ck Shopping Mall, not very far from the
Marriott Tech Center) is big enough (4 floors) & full enough with stacks
& nooks & comfy reading corners that one can go in with a crowd & still
be alone to browse to your heart's content. I was there a couple of
weeks ago (to spend a gift certificate: found money!) with Jim & we
didn't see each other from the time we walked in until 2 hours later
when we'd agreed to meet at the front door & move on. The clerks at the
TC are not pushy, either, so one is left to one's own thots & pursuits
-- heaven.

BTW, I spent my found money on 2 garden books plus the paperback version
of "Undaunted Courage", Stephen Ambrose's treatment of the Lewis & Clark
Expedition -- I'm a history buff as well as a gardening nut. All 3 books
proved to be dandies. Oh -- every time I've been at the library since
you mentioned "The Secret History" to me, I've looked but it continues
to be checked out. Rats. However, I've started re-reading Dorothy
Dunnett's House of Niccolo series -- do you know of Dunnett? Terrific,
intelligent writer, very dense plotting, wonderful humor, believeable
characters & settings & plenty of fascinating history to boot. Besides
this 7-book series (with one upcoming) I heartily recommend "The King
Hereafter", a stand-alone work of fiction that tells about MacBeth as he
& his times really were but Dunnett works in all of Shakespeare's
notions too, in a wry, clever manner.

Gotta go -- must see if I can post some more stuff to the List to shake
up Walta & the others re the Denver Convention!

Marte