Re: Cult I. Minutaurea

Henryanner@aol.com wrote:
> John,
> The  BIS book says, p. 122, I. minutoaurea Makino. I'd go with that. Cannot
> see them using an invalid binomial.
> As I recall Clarence's bloomed last year and really quite early. Check the
> archives. And make sure yours has ribbed leaves or it may be the bogus acorus
> one.
> Anner Whitehead, Richmond,Va
> Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com

Thank you all. (Anner, Bill and Kathy). Anner, does the ribbing run
longitudinally or laterally (crosswise - whatever the right term is...). The
plants I have appear to have a ridge running longitudinally up the leaf. There
may be others but I will have to wait till the leaves grow a little more to be sure.

Do you know (or anyone else for that matter) if I.M. has purple based foliage.
Mine looks like it does, although I really want to see some new leaves before
I pass on that.

I have potted mine in a mix of half azalea potting mix and half regular
potting mix with added vermiculite, perlite and sand for drainage. I wanted to
be able to try them in different locations and thought my native clay was too
neutral to be good for them.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.
There are currently 25 Iris pictures on my Website. Visit me at: