Re: Pot Culture (no, it's not what you think!)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Pot Culture (no, it's not what you think!)
  • From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 19:28:43 -0700 (MST)

Donald wrote:

>   what ARE the signs of breaking dormancy?

Let's start with the signs of domancy....

Fully dormant rhizomes have no leaves left.  =

Even the growing point looks pretty well
callused over.  Arils may have some dried
up roots, but a lot of arilbreds drop their
roots entirely.  You can end up with something
that looks more like a bulb than a rhizome.

You can catch the earliest signs of breaking
dormancy on ones stored in paper bags
because there's no soil to hide the growing
points.  First, a white tip breaks through the
callused skin then new leaves break forth.

On established clumps, just watch for the
new leaves to break ground.

>  The arilbreds I bought looked very similar to the TBs, just somewhat
>  smaller than most and with some less foliage. =

Arilbred rhizomes are "supposed" to be
smaller than TB rhizomes because they
don't store as much water.  But in my =

climate some of them outgrow the TBs.
If there's any foliage, I'd deem the rhizome
only partially dormant.

>   I planted the 3rd week in
>  August and 1st part of September expecting cooler temps, which didn't
>  happen in '97.  Frankly, after shipping, by my reckoning and amateur
>  assessment, they were all pretty dormant looking based on my experienc=
>  with TBs.  What I've always referred to as dormancy in bearded irises
>  been a lack of new growth and yellowish faded foliage, but not dormanc=
>  in bulbs.  They seem to be about as dormant after extended dry summer
>  as they do after long spells of freezing weather. =

Sounds like what we usually call
green dormancy.  =

>  Since I am trying
>  arilbreds and intend to try more, should I be looking for something
>  different?

It's pretty safe to judge the rhizomes
of quarterbreds by TB standards, and
most of today's halfbreds go only