Re: Re: OT convention planning

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Re: OT convention planning
  • From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 07:10:44 -0700 (MST)

At 09:43 PM 2/20/98 -0700, you wrote:
>conventions are short handed and that is probably why they do not ususally
>have a flower show at conventions.  It takes a lot of people to man the
>registration table for 5-6 days 10-12hrs /day.  How many bus captains do you
>think it takes to handle maybe 800 people with 40/bus?  I am usually so busy
>I don't have time to go to the business meetings but all the officers,
>RVPs-24-, section Pres./representatives etc. all go 2 days early and make
>decisions that makes AIS the organization it is and it is hard to please
>everyone and these are volunteers.  I'm thankful for them giving so
>generously.  Anna Mae

I'd like to add my 2 cents worth.  I've been to 3 conventions, and been
uniformly impressed and grateful for the amount of work that gets done by
so few people.  A convention is a MAJOR undertaking, and there is no reward
for all the work except the pleasure of meeting other iris folks and the
knowledge gained and comaraderie shared.  Which is substantial, and a good
part of what makes the convention such a treat!  Sure, there is always
SOMETHING that doesn't go quite right--but on the whole--these events are

We hear a lot about the decline of volunteerism these days.  Please, let's
pitch in, help, and support  whenever, wherever we can, so that we don't
find ourselves saying, in a few years...."Back in the old days, when there
were national conventions...."

Not trying to be a wet blanket--but well aware of the difficulties in
trying to run an organization without sufficient support....

Dorothy Fingerhood
(Newfield, NY)  BUT will be in Denver in June if I have to HITCH-HIKE!    ;-)