Re: OT convention planning

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT convention planning
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 10:27:19 -0700 (MST)

>Interesting concept, but how does one accomplish this?  I once called the
>Visitors Bureau in Providence, RI with a similar question and the
>representative "had no such information".  No one in charge of selling a
>city is going to bad-mouth any part of it.

I think Marte has accomplished it for us. What you do is just this: find
someone disinterested who knows the city, and ask for advice. As huge as
our nation is, you might think this would be impossible, but it doesn't
seem to be. We always seem to know someone who knows someone. But if you
don't, you can call a newspaper and ask for its lifestyle editor or call a
taxi company or a police department's public information officer. These are
busy people, but they know their towns and they'll tell you what they think
about your candidate hotel.

As I said in my original post, I would not hesitate to book a cheaper hotel
if hotel expenses were all that might keep me from attending a convention
in Denver. I would not avoid attending a convention anywhere because of
some vague and unfounded fear of crime. But it is prudent to do a little
homework. One would not, for instance, be well-advised to book just any
national chain hotel in Little Rock. A little homework on Colorado Springs
would have saved my friend's life, no doubt about it. If nothing else, he
could have asked the guy at the hotel desk whether it was wise to walk
alone there carrying money.

The convention hotel is no doubt a good one in a safe neighborhood.
Committees consider these factors in their planning, so if you're staying
with the convention, your homework has been done for you. Marte has
mentioned several alternates in safe neighborhoods. Go to Denver and have
fun!

celia
storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level,
average rainfall about 50 inches (more than 60" in '97)
average relative humidity (at 6 a.m.) 84%.
moderate winters, hot summers ... but lots of seesaw action in all seasons