Re: Re: Re: OT convention planning

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Re: Re: OT convention planning
  • From: Irisquilt@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 11:20:12 -0700 (MST)

Oh, I forgot to mention digging and shipping the guest irises in the heat of
July-Aug.  Can you imagine how those 1 rhizomes have grown and they have to
be washed, labeled, packaged, taken to UPS or even destroyed in a shredder.
 I worked on MI 76, several Japanese Iris conventions, 1 siberian convention
 small c by todays' numbers of guests.  I sent 20 3-5 fan divisions of
siberians in 1995 so by now they are probably 90-100 divisions and they are
not easy to dig and divide and I am only 1 guest hybridizer.  I can either
ask for them all back, be destroyed (I learned in '85 that didn't work
because my unnamed seedlings are still growing under 'Anna Mae's siberian' or
Anna Mae's Pink'-do you understand me.  So I ask that they be returned and
then I do as I want), I always give the garden who grew my named ones a
division and some I give to the committee for their auction which defrays
some of the costs-these conventions don't come out even on the registration
charges.  This is not all fun and games.  Even a Regional is lots of work.
 Oh, yes, do you know how many homemade cookies it takes for 500-1000
attendees at 4-6 gardens/day and most go to the refreshment table and sample
2-3 varieties of cookies?  I may think of other things later as it comes to
me.  Now aren't you sorry you got me started?  Ask Walta how many guests he
sent.  Anna Mae