Re: Re: Re: OT convention planning

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Re: Re: OT convention planning
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 19:16:22 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998 Irisquilt@aol.com wrote:

>   Now aren't you sorry you got me started?  Ask Walta how many guests he
> sent.  Anna Mae

	I usually send 3 or 4 (what is allowed) rhizomes of about 10 or
12 of my seedlings or introductions.  After the convention I let the host
gardener have one, give some to the auction, and may request the return of
some.  If it is a seedling I have decided not to introduce I request it be
destroyed, and I hope they do, which is simply following AIS Guidelines.
If I decide that I am going to introduce the seedling, I request that all
stock be returned.

	I was really surprised on the growth of a seedling sent to Oregon.
I sent 3 or 4 (whatever was allowed) and got back nearly
100...unbelievable!

	Yes, a lot of work goes into a convention. There are many unsung
heroes behind the scenes that help bring the whole thing together.  They
usually don't get the recognition they deserve.   I appreciate the work
done by all involved, and I always write the guest iris chairman and thank
them for returning some of the rhizomes.

	The convention is not truly over until that last guest rhizome is
dug!  I would think that final dig is the toughest work because it is done
in the heat of summer with probably more than ten times the number of
rhizomes planted.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8