Re: mesopotamica influence (was REB: PERFUME COUNTER)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: mesopotamica influence (was REB: PERFUME COUNTER)
  • From: z88keys@mindspring.com (L.Zurbrigg)
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 19:17:52 -0700 (MST)

>> >Lloyd, if you knew the percentage of mesopotamica influence in a given
>> >introduction, at what level of influence would you expect it to fail in
>> >this region?
>> >
>> >Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
>> Dear Linda: Only a guess, but I would be concerned if 25% of the ancestry
>> contained I.mesopotamica. If it were 50% I would probably never use it as
>> parent. Farther north, I wanted those varieties that seemed to go
>> completely dormant in the fall, showing a lot of very small leaves,
>> suggesting I variegata and possibly I pallida. Those that try to grow all
>> winter were anathema. However, in North Carolina, such varieties might
>> some success, - and I speak of the piedmont area, not the mountains. But
>> still want the iris to go nearly dormant in the fall, out of habit. And I
>> do like to use the hardy Eastern rebloomers to cross with the arilbreds.
>> They too like to grow all winter and estivate all summer, like I
>> mesopotamica. The hardy rebloomers, hopefully, will help keep down their
>> winter growth, and stimulate the summer growth.
>>    Here I am using the TB RE as the pod parent, so may be disappointed
>> awhile in regard to the appearnace of aril characteristics in the
>> seedlings.  Lloyd Zurbrigg in Durham NC,
>One of the most remarkable iris in my garden is BLUE CHIP PINK. Unlike most
>other irises here it go sleep in early September. I think it is very
>promising here.
>Do you know, what is the percentage of I.mesopotamica in its ancestry?
>And how do it in other regions?
>Moscow, Russia
Dear Juri:  I do not know the amount of I. mesopotamica in BLUE CHIP PINK.
If it succeeds in the northern states , it would indicate very little of I
mesopotamica, and that was said very recently. So I would use it. However,
my friend Joan Roberts who lived in Maryland found that it gives a lot of
dwarfish seedlings; great is you are trying for IBs and Border Bearded. So
go ahead and use it, and good luck to you!  Lloyd Zurbrigg in Durham, North