RE: CULT light for seedlings

I'm glad to see this question come up. I can't cite a source, but
it has been my understanding for a long time that the idea of plants
needing a rest period was nonsense. I leave my lights on 24/7 until
the plants are hardened off and placed outdoors.

Granted, there are some plants that will "bolt" if the day is to
long, and there are some that won't flower until "day length" is
shortened, either naturally or artificially, but it seems that
most are "day length" neutral and fruit or flower to their own

Surely there must be a scientific study to tell us what is the
optimum lighting situation.

At 09:28 PM 2/21/98 -0700, you wrote:
>We keep ours on for 16 hours too.  But I have also heard that seedlings
>(other than iris) respond well to 24 hour treatment.
>Maureen Mark
>Ottawa, Canada
Duane Buell  Zone 6a but plan 5b for safety
Now featuring a BarnesandNoble bookseller link
dbuell@ptialaska.net or sales.ohq@sport4u.com