Re: CULT light for seedlings

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT light for seedlings
  • From: Daryl &Kathy Haggstrom <hagg@alaska.net>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 00:23:06 -0700 (MST)

Duane Buell wrote:
> I'm glad to see this question come up. I can't cite a source, but
> it has been my understanding for a long time that the idea of plants
> needing a rest period was nonsense. I leave my lights on 24/7 until
> the plants are hardened off and placed outdoors.
After I set up my light rack, I provide 24/7, as you Duane. The plants
do well, and are compact & well colored. I use this for all my plants,
vegetable & flower (iris included). If I provide any less light, they
don't do as well. I use regular cool white fluorescent bulbs. I haven't
seen a discernable improvement using the full spectrum bulbs.

Temperature seems to be the more variable factor under grow-lights than
light duration. I keep perennials & cool weather plants on the lower
racks (which means the Iris setosa are on the lowest rack). Tomatoes and
such seem to sulk unless they have the extra heat of the top shelves.

Kathy Haggstrom
Anch, Ak
Zone 3