Re: mesopotamica influence (was REB: PERFUME COUNTER)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: mesopotamica influence (was REB: PERFUME COUNTER)
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 11:13:12 -0700 (MST)

Juri Pirogov writes:

> One of the most remarkable iris in my garden is BLUE CHIP PINK. Unlike
most
> other irises here it go sleep in early September. I think it is very
> promising here.
>
> Do you know, what is the percentage of I.mesopotamica in its ancestry?

Juri,

BLUE CHIP PINK (Niswonger, 90) is from PINK BLUE GENES (Niswonger, 90) X
(CENTER FOLD (Niswonger, 77) x Rudolph seedling 79-05).

PBG itself is from Rudolph seedling 79-05 X (SINGING SKIES x LILAC THRILL)

I could find no information on the pedigree of the Rudolph seedling, so
half the ancestry of BCP cannot be directly traced further backward.
Fifteen of the sixteen remaining 5th generation ancestors of BCP can be
traced back to their species origins. Everyone of them is derived from
either or both of PURISSIMA (a double grandchild of I. mesopotamica) or
MOROCCO ROSE, which according to Hager, is a grandchild of RICARDI (a named
form of I. mesopotamica). The sixteenth 5th generation ancestor is LOVELY
LETTY, a David Hall introduction identified only by seedling parentage.
However, given the nature of Hall's breeding program, and the fact that
Rudolph's breeding lines were based largely on Hall's, it is nearly certain
that LOVELY LETTY and Rudolph seedling 79-05 are also descended from
MOROCCO ROSE.

However, nearly all of the ancestors of BCP had undergone 5 or more
generations of selection in the American Midwest, which should have greatly
reduced any tendencies towards tenderness derived from the mesopotamica
strain in their ancestry.

cwalters@digitalpla.net
Where Winter Whiteness is back for a return engagement - hopefully brief