OT-BIO: Dennis Kramb

This is my first post to the listserv.  I found out about it from attending
a meeting (my first one) at the local iris club today (Miami Valley Iris
Society).  I was encouraged to join the listserv because of my interest in
species iris native to Ohio, and also because of my interest in arilbreds
which aren't particulalry popular here due to the wet climate.

I'm currently a member of HIPS, AIS, ASI, RBIS, MVIS, and soon to be SIGNA.

Being new to the world of irises, I'm full of questions and ideas.  I have
done lots of reading, but since I only began planting irises last year, my
experience & knowledge is quite limited (I have still yet to see a
rhyzomatous iris bloom in my own garden!).

Regarding arils...has anyone attempted crossing them with water-loving
irises such as Lousianas or Japanese?  Can it be done??  I'm no genetic
engineer, but I imagine that if such a hybridization was viable, it would
produce a variety that is more tolerant of Ohio's wet summer climate.  I
haven't found any mention of crossing arils with anything but TB specimens
in any books or webpages I've read.

I have aspirations of hybridizing.  Some things I would love to develop
include...green flowered irises...irridescent flowered irises...and of
course arilbreds that will thrive in wet temperate zones.  Whether or not
these things are even possible, well, I suppose only time & perserverance
will tell.  But if they exist already please tell me where I can get them!

Sincerely,
Dennis Kramb (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA)